CARL E. HABEKOST joined Bugbee & Conkle, LLP in 2010. In 2018, Mr. Habekost became head of the Labor & Employment department at Bugbee & Conkle. Mr. Habekost represents employers in all aspects of safety law, workers’ compensation law, and employment law. In addition, Mr. Habekost has earned an advanced, executive-level safety certification as a Certified Occupational Safety Manager (COSM) which enables him to develop skills to build and manage effective safety programs to reduce injuries and control costs. Mr. Habekost has also earned OSHA 30 hour Certifications in General Industry & Construction. Mr. Habekost successfully defends employers’ interests at unemployment compensation hearings, before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). He also represents employers at all injury and compensation hearings under the Ohio workers’ compensation law before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC).
From 1994 to 2005, Mr. Habekost served as a Staff Hearing Officer with the Industrial Commission of Ohio in Toledo, where he decided a broad range of disputed workers’ compensation claim issues including: permanent total disability, temporary total disability, occupational disease and death allowances, VSSR claims, and fraud claims. Mr. Habekost also has been retained in federal and state courts as an expert witness in Ohio workers’ compensation law.
Since leaving the Industrial Commission, Mr. Habekost has focused his practice on representing employers in the management of their safety, employment and workers’ compensation programs through advocacy and consultation. Mr. Habekost is also an adjunct Professor in the Environmental Health & Safety Department at the University of Findlay. Mr. Habekost is married with three children and enjoys reading, physical fitness, and music.
- Ohio, 1990, U.S.
- State ex rel. Saunders v. Cornerstone Foundation Systems, 123 Ohio St. 3rd 40 (2009)
- Toledo Bar Association – Chairman of Workers’ Compensation Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA)
- Northwest Ohio Self-Insurers’ Association (NWOSIA)
- Ohio Self-Insurers Association (OSIA)
- Safety Council of Northwest Ohio
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Northwest Ohio Human Resource Association (NOHRA)
- Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS)
- Certified Occupational Safety Manager (COSM)
- Super Lawyers 2019-2020