- Labor & Employment
- Litigation – Employment Law
- Litigation – General Civil
- Litigation – Workers’ Compensation
- Workers’ Compensation
Prior to 1990, Carl worked as a third party administrator, representing employers before the Commission and Bureau, and assisting state fund employers with premium and rating disputes. From 1991-1994, Carl represented injured workers in claims before the Bureau and Commission. Since leaving the Industrial Commission in 2005, Carl has focused his practice on representing employers in the management of their workers' compensation programs through advocacy and consultation.
Carl provides consultation and counselling for clients in matters arising out of the employment relationship including issues involving employment discrimination, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, collective bargaining and OSHA. Carl represents employers before the EEOC, the OCRC, the NLRB, the Unemployment Compensation Review Commission and the Ohio Industrial Commission.
Carl is a Certified Occupational Safety Specialist and a Certified Occupational Safety Manager providing him in depth training to assist employers with safety issues that arise in connection with OSHA, violations of specific safety requirements and intentional torts. Carl is also an adjunct professor at the University of Findlay in the Environmental Health and Safety Department teaching courses on OSHA and EPA law and regulations.
Carl is married with three children and enjoys reading, physical fitness, and running.
- University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio
- J.D. - 1989
- Capital University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.A. - 1980
- Ohio, 1990
- Toledo Bar Association – Chairman of Workers’ Compensation Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA)
- Northwest Ohio Self-Insurers’ Association (NWOSIA)
- Ohio Self-Insurers Association (OSIA)
- Safety Council of Northwest Ohio
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Northwest Ohio Human Resource Association (NOHRA)
- Findlay Chamber of Commerce
- State ex rel. Saunders v. Cornerstone Foundation Systems, 123 Ohio St. 3rd 40 (2009)
- Super Lawyers, 2019-2022
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS)
- Certified Occupational Safety Manager (COSM)