The following is a list of the top 10 most frequently cited standards following inspections of worksites by federal OSHA for Fiscal Year 2020 (Oct. 1, 2019, to Sept. 30, 2020). This list is updated and released annually.
- Fall Protection, construction (29 CFR 1926.501)
- Hazard Communication Standard, general industry (29 CFR 1910.1200)
- Respiratory Protection, general industry (29 CFR 1910.134)
- Scaffolding, general requirements, construction (29 CFR 1926.451)
- Ladders, construction (29 CFR 1926.1053)
- Control of Hazardous Energy (lockout/tagout), general industry (29 CFR 1910.147)
- Powered Industrial Trucks, general industry (29 CFR 1910.178)
- Fall Protection–Training Requirements (29 CFR 1926.503)
- Eye and Face Protection (29 CFR 1926.102)
- Machinery and Machine Guarding, general requirements (29 CFR 1910.212)
The top 2 citations, Fall Protection, and Hazard Communication Standard, have not changed their position on this list for a number of years. To help employers tackle this, we have previously examined the connection between fall hazards and fatalities in the workplace as well as the importance of building a safety culture in your workplace. We also have a free video series on Building a Safety Culture in the Workplace. OSHA holds an annual Stand Down for Safety event to bring awareness to the importance of fall protection.